The managing editor leads the overall management of Conservation International's (CI) blog "Human Nature" as a member of Conservation International's Editorial team within the Brand and Communications Division. In this role, the managing editor ensures CI’s blog remains a timely, accurate, media-rich online publication that engages and grows audiences, attracts press interest, builds a community of CI supporters, demonstrates CI’s expertise and effectiveness, and develops and broadcasts the voice of CI staff as thought leaders and “go-to” experts.
Working under the direction of the Editorial Director, the managing editor will implement and fine-tune CI’s blog strategy. This includes conceptualizing, pitching, assigning and/or writing articles that highlight CI’s work in a journalistic way, including articles written by program staff. The managing editor mostly works autonomously to develop the blog’s editorial calendar, special series or themed content, voice, search engine optimization tactics, and outreach strategy.
Beyond planning and production of the blog, the managing editor is also expected to proactively promote CI’s blog content to like-minded peer groups, to CI staff, to noted bloggers, and occasionally with the support of the media relations team, to press, earning new cross-posts and links back to Conservation.org from other websites, and helping drive traffic. Working with the senior coordinator for web analytics, s/he is additionally responsible for aggregating quarterly reports that analyze CI blog data and trends, including growth rates, time spent online, popular themes, resonance in social media, and geographic/demographic traffic, as much as available measurement tools will allow. With this information, and divisional strategy, s/he makes recommendations on future activities.
Content gathering from across CI and storytelling
- Conceptualize, pitch, assign, edit and/or write posts for the blog in line with the blog strategy and project calendars.
- Encourage and work with staff across CI to write for the blog and to view the blog as an essential component of their communications strategy.
Goal setting and strategic management
- Work with Editorial Director and Analytics Coordinator to develop quantifiable goals for the blog, including content, calendar, style, voice and themes to achieve these goals.
- Ensure all blog content is in line with CI mission and messaging.
- Ensure timely publication of at least 3 posts per week.
Technical management and communications coordination
- Collaborate with colleagues within the communications division to ensure the blog integrates with existing and planned campaigns, leverages CI’s social media, and has good SEO, share-ability and usability, all with both audience growth and the online user experience in mind.
- Work with the web and IT teams to troubleshoot any technical issues with the site and make recommendations for improvements.
Data gathering and analysis
- Analyze, monitor and report on traffic usage, trends and gaps to identify and recommend new strategies, incentivize participation and track growth.
- Provide updates to communications division and blogging community about data and recommendations for more effective strategies or activities to reach goals.
- Stay up to date on best practices and trends in the field to be able to make recommendations on ways CI can integrate the latest technologies and strategies to achieve goals.
- Promote CI blog posts withing the blogosphere by pitching external bloggers and looking for opportunities for regular distribution and sharing.
- Promote the blog on social media platforms.
- Explore alternative ways to increase blog exposure through new technologies or platforms.
Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- This position is located Arlington, VA
- Some international travel may be required
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- 5+ years writing and editing experience
- Strong knowledge and experience in all aspects of reporting, writing and editing
- Background in journalism or online media
- Ability to plan and execute outstanding editorial content under deadline pressures
- Ability to work both independently and in team atmosphere
- Ability to understand how individual projects fit into larger strategic goals
- Ability to coordinate multiple high-priority projects seamlessly
- Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills in working with both colleagues and senior leadership
- Experience with blogging platforms and CMS (especially WordPress) and analytic tools (such as Google Analytics)
- Experience coordinating and curating multimedia content for online production
- Self-starter and a creative communicator with an understanding of and appreciation for CI’s mission, vision and messaging
- Experience developing and coaching subject-matter experts