The Center for Rural Affairs is a leading nonprofit organization with a national reputation for progressive rural advocacy. We are seeking a full-time Policy Associate to advance our policy objectives in Iowa and beyond.
You will become part of a dynamic team committed to effecting change. The ideal candidate will have strong writing and communications skills, demonstrated advocacy experience, and an understanding of state and national policies that impact rural communities.
Location: Center for Rural Affairs Iowa Office: 1210 Sixth St. Nevada, Iowa 50201
Compensation: Commensurate with experience + comprehensive benefits package
Desired Start Date: June 26, 2017
- Develop and assess policy proposals;
- Analyze and interpret legislation;
- Develop strong relationships with elected leaders and partner organizations;
- Participate in coalitions and working groups; and
- Prepare and submit testimony and official comments.
- Make use of traditional and digital media to influence public opinion;
- Organize and attend community meetings;
- Build public support for policy positions; and
- Successfully engage grassroots individuals to achieve policy goals.
- Conduct issue-specific research;
- Author white papers and research briefs;
- Remain current on issue-area trends and developments; and
- Support program staff.
If these phrases describe you, we want you for our open position:
- Disciplined, accountable, and professional;
- Quick learner who is meticulously detail-oriented and produces high-quality work;
- Self-starter who works independently and organizes time and priorities to meet deadlines;
- In possession of a strong work ethic and a habit of exceeding expectations; and
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial environment and is energetic, resourceful, and creative.
Additionally the right candidate must possess:
- Willingness to build consensus and lead;
- Strong attention to detail and ability to take initiative and manage multiple projects;
- Familiarity with and understanding of rural communities; and
- Demonstrated ability to connect with people regardless of political or cultural background.
The following are a plus, but not required:
- Strong academic accomplishments or professional experience in a field such as political science, law, environmental science, communications, or public relations;
- Prior experience with political or issue campaigns;
- Familiarity with survey data analysis and constituent management using tools such as Salesforce or the Voter Activation Network; and
- Policy research experience.
Send a cover letter, resume, three professional references, and one short writing sample (one to three pages), to email@example.com. Apply by June 19, 2017, for full consideration. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.