The National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition (NSAC) is currently seeking a Policy Intern for the fall term beginning in mid-August 2017 and lasting until mid-January 2018. This position is paid, full-time, and is located at NSAC’s Washington, D.C. office on Capitol Hill.
NSAC is the leading advocacy organization for federal policy that supports sustainable agriculture and food systems. NSAC’s collaborative work environment offers a unique career opportunity to advance federal sustainable agriculture policy as part of a dedicated and effective team. The Policy Intern will have the opportunity to work on a range of issues and campaigns, including local and regional food systems, working lands conservation, beginning and minority farmer issues, sustainable agriculture research, crop insurance reform and much more.
NSAC’s Policy Intern will work closely with NSAC’s policy team on the full range of daily activities in our fast-paced D.C. office, including:
- Support policy staff with Hill outreach
- Attend meetings and Congressional hearings and report back to staff
- Conduct research and data analysis to support policy development
- Write policy blog posts and contribute to Federal Register comments (as applicable)
- Manage dissemination of Weekly Roundup newsletter
- Provide backup support for incoming calls and other administrative duties
- Assist with other projects and assignments as needed
- An understanding of and passion for sustainable agriculture
- Basic knowledge of the federal policy-making process
- An appreciation for how federal policies may affect different constituencies, including historically under-represented communities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent research skills
- Ability to both work independently and be a good team player
- Willingness to work around a demanding congressional schedule and deadlines
How To Apply
Please send resume, cover letter (including an explanation of your interests in sustainable agriculture), and the names and contact information for two references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Fall Policy Intern” in the email subject line. No phone calls, please. Application deadline: Thursday July 20, 2017.
NSAC is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from groups that have been historically under-represented, including but not limited to women and people of color. Please also see NSAC’s Statement on Racial Equity. NSAC makes hiring decisions without regard to gender, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.