Managing Director of Development
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights is the premier coalition charged by its diverse membership of more than 200 national organizations to promote and protect the civil and human rights of all persons in the United States. Through advocacy and outreach to targeted constituencies, The Leadership Conference works toward the goal of a more open and just society – an America as good as its ideals.
The Leadership Conference and Education Fund seek an experienced, skilled, and innovative development professional to advance the Development Department in growing and sustaining current and future fundraising activities to support our missions. We have a 65+ year history in civil and human rights advocacy, policy, education and programming.
Reporting to the vice president for development, the Managing Director of Development is a new position on the 6-person team. The Managing Director will serve as an important leader in the organization and will play a significant role as part of the senior team tasked with sustaining and growing the organizations’ funding, building innovative philanthropic strategies, and growing the organizations’ reserve funds.
The primary priorities for the Managing Director of Development include:
- Innovate and develop new, cutting-edge philanthropic models that leverage today’s thinking and technology to support our missions.
- Optimize and advance current grant funding, individual donor campaigns, events fundraising, and other existing development work.
- Cultivate, steward, and grow relationships with grantmakers, major donors, and other key constituencies.
- Collaborate with the vice president for development and the senior leadership team to develop the department’s annual budget and work plan, and supervise a fundraising team of four to successfully execute the department’s goals and objectives.
The new Managing Director will have the opportunity to be part of the team of leaders who are working to conceptualize and shape our direction and impact. With the advent of new leadership in the CEO and COO positions, the organizations are poised to build on nearly 70 years of work and strategically develop new models and plans that affect mission impact at a time when democracy and civil rights are under attack.
The ideal candidate will bring a strong commitment to social justice, the issues represented by the Leadership Conference, and the overall goals and values of the organizations. This position offers tremendous opportunity for a sophisticated generalist with an understanding of foundations, the donor pyramid, and cutting-edge philanthropic models.
Ideal candidates for this position will share our commitment to social justice issues and values, and will bring a variety of experiences and attributes to The Leadership Conference and Education Fund, including:
- A passion for the issues represented by the Leadership Conference
- A proven track record of raising funds from foundations by mobilizing staff and board resources, communication with key foundation leaders, developing fundable projects, cultivating and stewarding prospects, proposal writing, grant tracking and reporting, etc.
- Excellent senior management experience including organizational oversight and supervision experience
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience directing development efforts and staff in a nonprofit organization
- Demonstrated understanding of fundraising, its applications and growth experience including innovative strategic thinking, attention to detail and focus on implementing strategy to produce results
- Ability to nurture the organization’s culture of philanthropy and infuse development and donor stewardship ethics
- A masterful communicator, exceptional writer, and excellent listener with strong ability to build trust among a wide range of constituents
- A team player with a “can do” attitude, a good sense of humor and professionalism in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- CFRE preferred plus
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
To apply, e-mail resume, cover letter detailing your fit with the position’s responsibilities, and salary requirements to: LeadershipConference@raffa.com (e-mail applications are required).
The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund are equal opportunity employers and seek applicants who will contribute to the diversity of our staff.