Writer & Editorial Officer
The Writer & Editorial Officer works across teams and with staff throughout Africa to drive AWF's position as Africa's conservation leader through high-quality publications and compelling storytelling. The Writer & Editorial Officer, reporting to the Print Marketing Manager, will develop content for AWF’s core printed materials, which include the Annual Report, newsletters, high-touch magazines, and other key published material.
The successful candidate will provide professional editorial and proofreading support across marketing channels. The position will function as a cornerstone of editorial expertise ensuring consistency, quality, and a cohesive voice across the brand’s marketing and publications portfolio.
- Create and manage the organization’s annual print editorial calendar, working with other key members of the marketing team, and others, to ensure advance topic/issue cultivation and planning and ensure appropriate overlay amongst other departmental schedules and calendars.
- Ensure a consistent message and written style across AWF’s various publications, tailoring copy to appeal to key audiences.
- Proofread, edit, and evaluate materials to apply standardized writing guidelines and offer editorial recommendations.
- Facilitate story development and writing through among AWF’s global staff and qualified contributors.
- Fact check and review/edit articles, including those for print and direct mail, as well as digital marketing, web, and social media content as needed.
- Work closely with the Print Marketing Manager to assess organizational needs and develop key marketing collateral (fact sheets, brochures, and other promotional literature) and ensure a consistent high-quality product.
- Regularly monitor relevant program updates and activities in the field and coordinate dissemination of information across development and marketing teams.
- Serve as a primary point of contact alongside the Print Marketing Manager on managing, and reviewing copy provided by third party agencies and consultants.
- Assist staff in understanding editorial standards and best practices. Other writing and editorial tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree with coursework in journalism, editorial planning, and publications preferred.
- At least 4+ years relevant working experience in the field of journalism, publications, marketing, or communications preferred.
- Excellent investigative and communication skills, with facility in different storytelling approaches.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to relate to people from various geographic and economic backgrounds.
- Superior writing, editing, and grammatical skills. Experienced AP Style writer and editor.
- Familiarity with publications practices and related tools and software, including advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Must be flexible, culturally sensitive, works well independently and exude a “team” attitude.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized with the ability to multi-task, handle multiple priorities, and work effectively in a fast-paced, deadline- oriented environment.
- Ability to organize and present issues in a clear, concise, and logical manner.
- Keen interest or experience in wildlife/land conservation and/or sustainable development in Africa preferred.