Director of Government Relations
The Director of Government Relations will provide strategic direction for the university in relation to federal governmental activities and George Washington University. The Director works with others across the university to build relationships with the diplomatic community and international non-government organizations (NGOs).
The key responsibilities for this role are to:
- Advise university leadership on federal legislative and regulatory matters related to federal research funding, student financial aid, and medical education. Participate in coordinating activities and developing strategies for international activities throughout the university.
- Manage the relationships with key congressional legislators, administration officials, and federal agencies with a special emphasis on alumni, as well as maintain relations with the diplomatic community and the international NGOs.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of national higher education issues and a national network of contacts with leaders in the higher education community. Brief university leadership on higher education issues.
- Act as a liaison with the federal and diplomatic community, as well as education association, to further the university’s relationships and interests.
- Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 5 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master’s degree or higher in a relevant area of study plus 3 years of relevant professional experience. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.