Senior Manager, Government Affairs and State Legislative Specialist
Marriott International is the world's largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
This position will make key contributions to the business goals of the Public Affairs team. The Senior Manager of Government Affairs and State Legislative Specialist will augment current lobbying programs, with primary responsibility for increasing the company’s state and local government relations capacity through the development, management and execution of multi-jurisdictional issue campaigns. The incumbent will be expected to build relationships in key state capitals while managing local external consultants, association memberships and coalitions. This position will require interaction with senior Marriott executives and representation of the company before officials at all levels of government, and may require significant travel (approaching 50% during peak winter/spring state legislative season). This position reports to the Senior Director of Government Affairs and in time may have one or more direct reports.
The Senior Manager will:
- Lead and oversee Marriott’s engagement in state and local legislative and political activities, including:
- Identifying policy priorities and strategic engagement opportunities;
- Developing action plans and coordinating company responses to policy challenges with industry colleagues, field associates, business councils, executives and Government Affairs colleagues;
- Leading strategic partnerships with relevant external advocacy groups and coalitions, and attending related meetings and events;
- Driving field grassroots engagement through sustained educational outreach to property-level employees in key markets, ensuring consistent political engagement and messaging company-wide; and
- Supervising or executing the development of communications materials (issue briefs, talking points, sample letters, and correspondence associated with advocacy activities) for use in grassroots efforts.
- Support federal advocacy, including:
- Collaborating with internal stakeholders to develop corporate advocacy positions on federal issues and supportive lobbying strategies;
- Identifying and initiating opportunities for grassroots engagement by field employees, business councils, owners and franchisees;
- Developing communications materials supporting federal issue advocacy;
- Participating in outreach to Capitol Hill, Administration officials, and other external stakeholders; and
- Representing the company in industry or other external political forums.
- Provide political counsel to corporate leadership, including:
- Identifying political sensitivities to inform company and executive policy positions, public relations and strategy related to various policy initiatives; and
- Collaborating with outside counsel and Government Affairs colleagues to develop strategy, provide political guidance and assist in facilitating contributions to federal, state and local candidates.
- Work with Government Affairs colleagues on special projects, including:
- Collaborating with GA team to organize and coordinate annual Government Affairs Day on Capitol Hill with Marriott’s national Business Council network, as well as other ad hoc corporate “fly-in” events;
- Attending fundraising events (often mornings and evenings), utilizing those platforms to advance company policy priorities;
- Speaking to internal and external stakeholders to represent Government Affairs office, activities and priorities;
- Preparing briefing materials for executives and property-level managers for meetings and hotel visits with government officials; and
- Developing content for executive communications.
- Develop and maintain strategic business relationships with key officials in Federal, State, and local governments, their staffs, and various associations, coalitions, and partner organizations.
Assist in other Government Affairs projects as necessary.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 years of experience in politics and/or government relations, preferably with a blend of experience in federal and state work, and substantive relationships with relevant advocacy organizations. A demonstrated ability to master complex subject matter and manage advocacy campaigns in multiple state and local jurisdictions is preferred.
Other essential requirements:
- Four-year college degree in political science, public policy or related social science field required, with an excellent academic record.
- Minimum of five (5) years of legislative, political and/or government affairs experience.
- Knowledge of and experience with grassroots organizations and software applications.
- Experience with the hospitality industry preferred but not required.
- Fluency with state and local political processes.
- Ability to integrate effectively and work diplomatically with a broad range of individuals, including senior management and government officials.
- Ability to independently identify and analyze issues, assess risks, create and evaluate alternative solutions, and recommend a course of action.
- Ability to efficiently and effectively organize and manage multiple tasks and complex short- and long-term projects within desired timeframes and meet stated deadlines.
- Superior oral and written communications skills, including robust presentation capabilities.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information and documents.
- Flexibility to travel and attend evening events.