The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP) promotes sustainable and equitable transport worldwide. ITDP is a nonprofit organization headquartered in New York City with offices in Africa, Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States. ITDP’s programs focus on bus rapid transit, cycling and walking, travel demand management, parking, transport policy, shared mobility, and urban development. More information about ITDP can be found at www.itdp.org.
The Research Group under ITDP’s Global Programs is seeking an intern to be based in the Washington, D.C. office and work two to three days per week. The major goals of the Research Group are to monitor progress on sustainable transportation and to translate research into easily understandable information that leads to better decision making by elected officials. The intern will support efforts through data collection and cleaning, literature reviews and analysis.
The Intern will report to the Transport Research and Evaluation Manager and will work with staff across all ITDP offices.
- Perform literature reviews
- Identify key data sources and make data requests
- Obtain and clean data
- Perform statistical analyses
- Create communications materials based on analysis of data
- Provide logistical support for organizing events and study tours in DC
- Administrative duties as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Undergraduate degree (or enrollment in program) in urban planning, urban studies, economics, engineering or other relevant field
- Strong interest in sustainable transportation
- Good communicator with good written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Capable of conducting fast-paced internet research
- Strong attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Ability to manage time efficiently, especially to discern and prioritize urgent requests
- Proficiency in GIS
- High proficiency in Excel
- Statistical analysis and SPSS experience a plus
- Must be available to work 2-3 days per week in ITDP’s Washington, D.C. office and commit through next spring, possibly longer.
- Stipend available.
How To Apply
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “DC Intern” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.