Director of Communications
HJF is seeking a Director of Communications to support the Strategic Communications Department located at the Corporate Headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland. Reporting to the HJF Senior Vice President Strategic Initiatives, the Director of Communications will set and guide the strategy for all communications, website, and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate HJF's mission. The Director of Communications will work closely within HJF as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives. The Director of Communications will at all times endeavor to communicate that HJF is the partner of choice to advance military medicine.
- Develop, implement and evaluate the annual communications plan across a variety of audiences in collaboration with the HJF Executive Staff, other HJF staff, advisors and key stakeholders.
- Lead in the production of online content that engages employees, customers and other key stakeholders leading to measurable action. Work collaboratively across HJF to make decisions on who, where and when to disseminate communications.
- Design communications vehicles which create momentum and awareness, and test the effectiveness of communications’ activities.
- Mentor, lead and provide oversight to HJF’s internal communications team, and oversee the activities of external communications consultants.
- Coordinate webpage maintenance to ensure new and consistent information (e.g. article links, stories, and events) is regularly posted.
- Track and measure the level of internal and external engagement with HJF over time.
- Manage development, distribution and maintenance of all print and electronic media including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, annual report, presentations, reports, e-newsletters, and HJF's website.
- Coordinate and organize meetings that engage HJF’s current and prospective customers, partners and other stakeholders.
- Reach out to engage members of the media and manage all media contacts.
- Direct all crisis communications.
- Assist research programs by developing promotional plans and communications tools including annual reports, brochures and websites.
- Direct all employee, customer and stakeholder survey efforts.
- Direct marketing and communications support for HJF initiatives and events.
- Write and produce and/or assist others in writing other communications pieces as needed, including white papers, policy papers, business development documents, speeches, articles and special reports.
- Completes other projects and job duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: In depth knowledge of communications, marketing and public relations, with experience in print, web, electronic presentation and multimedia production. Excellent writing, editing and speaking skills, well developed interpersonal and presentation skills with press relations experience. Prior supervisory experience required. The ability to transform knowledge into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to appropriate audiences through the most suitable distribution channels is critical.
Specific requirements include:
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communication strategies
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence"
- Leadership skills with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all stakeholder groups, including staff, Council of Director members, researchers, program representatives, donors, sponsors, and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently and as an entrepreneur; enjoys mentoring others and creating and implementing new initiatives
Minimum Education: B.S. in Marketing, Communications or related field
Minimum Experience: 10+ years of experience in the communications field
Physical Capabilities: Requires long hours of sitting and working at a computer
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervises all staff in the Communications Department.
Work Environment: Primarily office, however, may include some travel to HJF sites, both domestic and international.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.