Director, Public Policy
This position exists to serve as the principal advisor for public policy planning and all advocacy implementation efforts in Kentucky. They direct and manage state public policy and advocacy efforts as well as the Ambassador Program for Congressional Advocacy.
This position is based in Louisville, KY with frequent travel within Chapter territory and reports to the Executive Director.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides staff leadership for the development of public policy goals at the state level in collaboration with the state public policy committee and the national public policy office.
- Oversees all efforts and activities to achieve the state-level public policy priorities, including working with the state legislature and state agencies, including the public health and/or aging departments, as appropriate.
- Recruits and trains advocates and manages advocacy database and communications.
- Manages statewide advocacy visits and correspondence, including electronic correspondence.
- Monitors committee meetings and legislative action during the state legislative session as well as in between sessions.
- Plans and implements Alzheimer's Advocacy Day at the state capitol.
- Recruits, trains, and facilitates the efforts of Alzheimer's Association Ambassadors for members of Congress.
- Plans and implements "Coffee with the Congressman" across the state.
- Receives and processes advocacy cards.
- Provides periodic updates of state and federal legislative matters pertaining to Alzheimer's to all Association staff in the state, chapter boards, Ambassadors and other advocates.
- Assists and collaborates with regional communications department to coordinate media outreach that promotes the Associationâ€™s state and federal policy agenda.
- Writes or works with regional communications department to write and disseminate various educational materials on public policy issues, including web content, Advocacy e-updates, fact sheets and newsletter articles.
- Coordinates implementation of state public policy goals such as development of the state platform and strategy.
- Develops alliances with similar organizations in order to advance issues of importance to the Association as the state level.
- Represents the chapter at public forums, conferences, state task forces, government agencies, etc. on public policy issues as needed.
- Recruits and coordinates volunteer advocates from the state to attend the Public Policy Forum in Washington, D.C.
- Provides staff and volunteers at all Walks (and other events) to recruit advocates.
- Assists and collaborates with the chapter's Development Director as necessary and appropriate to achieve chapter mission and goals including community/development events.
- Interacts and collaborates with regional public policy lead as needed.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years progressive professional state-level government affairs experience and/or grassroots advocacy
- Familiarity with legislative and regulatory processes
- Familiarity with Alzheimer's, dementia, and senior/elder issues preferred
- Experience working with volunteers and coalition building
- Outstanding verbal and written communications skills to engage with and maintain effective relationships with diverse populations
- Detail oriented, adaptable, organized and able to successfully manage multiple projects and tasks
- Proven self-starter with excellent judgment, high level of integrity, and absolute commitment to confidentiality
- Strong negotiation skills
- Proficient user of personal computer, Microsoft software applications, Google suite required; familiarity with donor software systems preferred
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently (up to 50%) across chapter territory
- Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed for the job
- Ability and willingness to operate a motor vehicle. Must possess valid driver's license, access to a reliable vehicle, and proof of insurance
- Ability to sit for long periods of time and move about to retrieve files
- Ability to occasionally lift and transport up to 25lbs, bend, and stoop