The writer/editor will support the office of communications and marketing's goal of communicating the college's strategic initiatives and guiding principles through creating, editing, and pitching compelling story ideas for print, digital, and web. The writer/editor will also research, prepare, and write speeches for the college president.
The following criteria, which are not the sole criteria used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review the applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be interviewed. Other information and observations made during the interview process may be considered in the selection process. Please ensure that your application and attached documents address the criteria listed below.
- Experience in writing and editing speeches for executive level staff such as president or vice president at an education institution, public or private-corporation, or nonprofit organization.
- Experience working with executive and senior level staff.
- Demonstrated abilities in writing and editing for multiple styles of writing including but not limited to news releases, newsletters, features, op-eds, and marketing brochures.
- Experience in researching and preparing information to support multiple styles of writing projects.
- Outstanding organizational skills. Ability to coordinate multiple requests, conduct interviews, and gather information for writing projects.
- Demonstrated experience in AP Style (knowledge of Chicago Manual and American Psychological Association styles a plus).
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills. Strong proofreading skills.
- Ability to write to word count and to deadline for writing projects.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Ability to use the Internet and other electronic media for researching and writing projects.
- Experience in using various software such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, Content Management Systems, Media Monitoring Software, and social media.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications-related discipline preferred.
- Associate degree or equivalent formal training in related field. Combination of education and related experience in writing and editing speeches for a total of five to six years.