Government Relations Director
The Government Relations Director role is a key member of the Government and Industry Relations (GIR) team which is responsible for ensuring that Congress, industry and housing groups, and other key stakeholders understand and value how Freddie Mac is fulfilling its mission, protecting taxpayers, supporting lenders of all sizes, and helping homeowners and renters. The specific focus of this leadership role is to represent GIR to Senior Management on Duty to Serve (DTS) and affordable housing issues. Additionally, this role is accountable for creating strategic synergies between business units and policy/advocacy groups with respect to Duty to Serve and other affordable housing matters.
* Lead GIR’s business unit interactions with respect to Duty to Serve. Serve as a corporate resource for industry reactions to our DTS plan.
* Demonstrate strong subject matter expertise on business, policy and legislative matters. Act as liaison to FHFA on government and industry relations-related policy and DTS issues.
* Conduct strategic outreach to external constituencies to support DTS efforts.
* Coordinate and evaluate internal Freddie Mac responses to affordable housing and potentially other policy issues. This includes assessing potential impacts for Freddie Mac and helping create appropriate communications.
* Provide in depth written and oral analysis on a wide variety of policy developments.
* Represent Freddie Mac and Government and Industry Relations (GIR) at internal and external facing events. This includes serving as the Freddie Mac speakers at conferences and other events.
* Direct speaker placement at external events, including industry meetings and conferences.
* Recommend strategies for supporting Senior Management, including an understanding of both corporate and business unit priorities.
* Prepare Freddie Mac’s response and tactical plans for inquiries from external constituencies to ensure responses are timely, sensitive and accurate.
* Support GIR ad hoc initiatives, as necessary.
* Establish operational and strategic objectives and work plans, and delegate assignments to subordinate managers. Establish and assure adherence to budgets, schedules, work plans, and performance requirements.
* Work on issues where analysis requires an in-depth knowledge and consideration of organizational objectives.
* Manage relationships internally and externally.
* 12+ years experience in government relations and knowledge of the mortgage industry and/or related experience
* Bachelor degree in Political Science, Business Administration, Law or related discipline or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills may be acquired
* Extensive legislative and policy analysis experience
* Strong communication skills are critical to the success of this position. Candidate must demonstrate strong written, oral, and interpersonal skills. Writing sample required.
* Demonstrated ability to build relationships at all levels in an organization and drive synergistic and collaborative behaviors.
* Strong executive presence. Demonstrated ability to influence, or gain acceptance from, others in sensitive situations, without damage to relationship.
* Proven ability to organize and lead people, set clear direction, provide compelling vision for change, ability to inspire and motivate
* Innovative problem solving and negotiating skills