The Alliance for Aging Research is the leading nonprofit organization dedicated to accelerating the pace of scientific discoveries and their application to vastly improve the universal human experience of aging and health. For more information about us, please visit, www.agingresearch.org.
The Alliance for Aging Research seeks a talented and passionate Vice President of Communications to oversee all aspects of strategic communications efforts, including press outreach, public relations, branding, content development, social media, analytics, budget, and staff. This position works closely with the Alliance’s President/CEO, Vice President of Development, Vice President of Health Programs, and Vice President of Public Policy to deploy a cohesive, proactive, and aggressive communications strategy. The Vice President will propose, execute and manage efforts to promote the organization’s message, market its programs and events and provide analysis on communications activates. This position reports directly to the President/CEO and manages one staff position, the Communications Associate.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Developing and executing annual public relations strategy and communications plan for the Alliance that raises the profile of the organization and its programs and events.
· Cultivating strategic press relations and fielding incoming press inquiries, including working with the President/CEO and program staff to develop talking points for interviews.
· Managing content creation for all the Alliance’s digital communications platforms in coordination with Alliance staff subscribers and drive traffic to the Alliance’s websites.
· Developing and executing communications plans for individual programs of the Alliance in conjunction with partner organizations’ communications staff/public relations firms.
· Advancing the Alliance’s programmatic and policy priorities by effectively positioning the organization as a leading voice on aging research policy and promoting the Alliance among D.C. thought leaders.
· Managing, coaching and mentoring the Communications Associate.
· Advising the President/CEO on up-to-date communications trends.
· Working closely with the Vice President of Development to ensure consistent messaging in recognition of funding and soliciting contributions.
· Ensuring collaboration and integration between the Communications department with the Development department, Health Programs department, and Public Policy department.
· Managing the budget for the department and communications projects.
· Leading special projects as needed.
· Willingness to travel 10% of the time, including occasional evenings and weekends.
· Cover letter with resume and at least one writing sample.
· Advanced degree in journalism, communications, public relations, or another relevant field preferred--or equivalent experience.
· 8-10 years of relevant communications experience.
· At least 1 year of supervising one or more staff (not just interns).
· Self-starter with a strong work ethic and innovative ideas.
· Excellent communication, writing and editing skills.
· Strong knowledge of analytics, web and social media platforms; experience using Google Analytics, Cision, and Salesforce preferred.
· Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners to achieve results.
· Proven managerial skills with ability to motivate and lead direct-report and cross-functional teams to success and superior results.
· Creativity, enthusiasm, and the willingness to be hands-on are critical to success; must have strong problem-solving skills.
· Flexibility and openness to new ideas and new approaches, and interest in learning from peers/colleagues.
· Ability to balance multiple competing priorities and balance allocation of time.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
· Must be authorized to work in the United States.
· Interest in aging-related health issues preferred.
The Alliance for Aging Research offers excellent benefits including employer-paid health/dental insurance, life insurance, long and short-term disability, flexible spending accounts, qualified transportation benefit, 401(k) retirement plan with match, paid sick and administrative leave, telework option, free gym access, employee assistance program, and four weeks of paid vacation. Salary mid-nineties to low six-figures—negotiable, commensurate with experience.
Please email cover letter, resume, and writing sample to HR@agingresearch.org. No faxes or phone calls please.