United States of Care is seeking an innovative and experienced Policy Director to set strategic direction for our policy work and position the organization as a resource for state and federal lawmakers looking to increase access to affordable care. The Policy Director will serve as an integral member of the growing United States of Care senior leadership team in strategic planning and action. This position will lead development of substantive resources for policymakers in moving forward tested policies to increase access to affordable care.
This position reports to the Executive Director and will have management responsibilities for a growing policy team, as well as for overseeing partnerships with academic institutions to develop policy expertise and analysis in the area of increasing access to health care.
Qualified candidates are highly self-motivated and creative with the ability to work in a start-up atmosphere with evolving priorities. As one of the inaugural members of the leadership team, we will look to the Policy Director to help build an organization from the ground up, and successful candidates must be willing to pitch in on “other duties as assigned.”
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Create strategy to set the course for the organization’s engagement on policy solutions
- Develop and oversee a research agenda to further academic study of policies to increase affordable health care access, in partnership with academic institutions
- Analyze relevant legislation and related documents, and act independently on behalf of the organization
- Oversee and actively participate in creation of actionable resources for state lawmakers to utilize in creating policy changes
- Juggle policy strategy development work along with the work needed to build a new organization, including creating and managing a (possibly remote) team from scratch
Experience in a state legislative or executive branch, Congress, federal agency, and/or in a policy role at an external organization is required for this position. In addition, candidates should have a deep understanding of the health policy landscape, including Medicaid, Medicare, private insurance, and policy areas related to increasing access to care and controlling health care costs. Successful candidates will have a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience; bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred. Leadership and management experience necessary.
Must have a strong commitment to ensuring every American has access to quality, affordable health care and open to operating in a bipartisan atmosphere exploring multiple policy solutions to achieve that mission. Interested candidates should email resume, cover letter, and writing sample to email@example.com with the title of the position and your last name in the subject line.