Vice President, Government Relations
The successful candidate will be the senior executive in charge of government affairs for a global trade association and will be responsible for setting and executing the association’s public policy agenda. Serves as the trade association’s ambassador to government. Analyzes, interprets and prioritizes legislative and regulatory actions and develops campaigns aimed at bringing about beneficial policy results. Interacts with legislators and regulators and acts as a liaison between them and the trade association. Will register as a lobbyist. Focuses mainly on U.S. government issues, but the association also operates internationally and considers international issues from time to time. In addition, the VP GA will work closely with GBTA members and committees to define and represent the interests of business travel community, advocating on behalf of the more than 7,000 members, suppliers and buyers, who make up the GBTA membership, is paramount to the success of this position.
- Manages the political action committee (and is responsible for compliance)
- Participates in industry coalitions
- Supervises government affairs consultants
- Speaks at industry events articulating the association’s impact, relevance and value proposition
- Ensuring GBTA Government Affairs’ activities are timed and positioned with other functional areas within GBTA to gain leverage, provide a cohesive voice, and ensure a smooth intersection of programs;
- Provides GBTA management and membership with regular briefings
- Ensures that the Association’s policy agenda is reflective of member needs and that members receive timely information on government activities
- Reports to the Executive Director and supervises staff members.
The position is based in Alexandria, Virginia.
- Established Washington relationships
- 10 years of related government and/or lobbying experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; an advanced degree, prior trade association experience, or corporate government affairs experience is preferred.
- Preference for candidates with an understanding of the business travel community