Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation has grown into America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 51 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, etc. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. The organization's programs focus on conserving wildlife, restoring habitat and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change. To support our mission, we seek a part-time Communications Intern to join our team in Annapolis, MD.
This position is 20 hours a week, expected to start in September and end in mid December 2018. This position will pay $13.25 per hour.
This position will help support the communications needs of the Choose Clean Water Coalition and provide a current undergraduate candidate the opportunity to learn more about nonprofit communications and gain hands-on experience. The Communications Intern will work directly with the Communications Manager to complete the following objectives:
- Help manage the social media platforms for the Coalition and execute an overall social media strategy.
- Support Coalition members in their communication needs by providing feedback and support for campaigns as needed.
- Help develop communications toolkits for rapid response to clean water threats.
- Contribute to and manage blog calendar for Coalition website.
- Learn to create bi-weekly e-newsletter to Coalition members.
- Provide assistance during Coalition press events, including press outreach and cultivation.
- Help update and maintain the Coalition email lists and member database.
- Provide additional office support to the Coalition workgroups, field manager, and director as needed.
- Currently seeking and undergraduate degree in communications, marketing, and/or related field.
- Experience with social media platforms and knowledge of social media trends.
- Ability to communicate positions and build public awareness.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills, including strong copy-editing skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize work, and meet deadlines.
- The employee's actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus.
- Ability to work effectively with a broad base of coalition groups and people from diverse backgrounds.
- Must be a self-starter who possesses a high degree of initiative.
- Positive attitude, collaborative spirit, sense of humor.
- Experience with software for design, photo editing, video editing, web publishing, especially Photoshop, InDesign, preferred but not required
There may be some travel, approx. twice a month to assist with projects or conferences.
We aspire to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical ability, and religious and political belief. Diversity at the National Wildlife Federation translates into understanding and valuing each other's perspectives.
The National Wildlife Federation offers excellent benefits, competitive compensation, and a family-friendly, flexible work environment. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we encourage you to submit an application. A background check will be conducted on the selected candidate.
Interested candidates should submit both a cover letter and resume.