Associate Executive Director, Government Relations
Responsible for managing and supervising the activities of the Legislation and Advocacy Programs. The Government Relations Department represents the interests of PVA before the Congress of the United States, Federal Executive Agencies, and in the Federal Courts, and relevant state, civilian and industrial entities.
- Employ and manage a staff of competent, professional people as required to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Supervise each Program in developing an annual goal and gaining budget approval to carry out such a plan.
- Advise the Executive Director, Deputy Executive Director, Executive Committee and Board of Directors on issues within the Government Relations Department.
- Provide for the continued orientation, education, training, welfare and morale of employees.
- Ensure communications and coordination with appropriate PVA, and outside, entities as required.
- Assist in gaining publicity for PVA and its objectives by providing on-going input to the Communication Program. Specifically, this includes, but is not limited to, keeping the Communication Program informed, on an on-going basis, of developments within your area of responsibility and of contact with news media representatives by yourself or members of your staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director or Deputy Executive Director.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Undergraduate degree required; graduate degree preferred in a related area of concentration or related years of experience.
- Extensive experience in government relations, either congressional or regulatory affairs, is essential.
- Managerial experience to include staff supervision and departmental budgeting.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Must have experience in budgeting and forecasting at departmental or program level.
- Honorably discharged veteran highly preferred.