Mission of the Job Opportunities Task Force (JOTF)
To develop and advocate policies and programs to increase the skills, job opportunities and incomes of low-wage workers and job seekers in Maryland.
The Senior Research Analyst leads the work that supports JOTF’s broader advocacy agenda. The Senior Research Analyst conducts research and writes reports on a wide range of issues facing Maryland job-seekers and employers. Topics include access to education, work supports, job quality, workplace policies and barriers to employment such as transportation and criminal records. The Senior Research Analyst plays a lead role in advancing JOTF’s portfolio of written research and recommending policy and program solutions based on best practices.
● Develop JOTF’s research agenda in coordination with internal and external stakeholders
● Conduct topical research and analysis, with a focus on adult education, workforce development including job training, workplace policies and barriers to education and employment.
● Serve as an author and project manager on JOTF research publications, including high quality reports, policy memos, testimony and other advocacy materials for diverse audiences.
● Provide technical research assistance to the JOTF policy and program teams.
● Maintain and manage JOTF’s online platforms (including but not limited to Past Forward and Train Baltimore)
● Maintain up-to-date knowledge of issues, trends, and best practices within adult education, workforce development, and workplace policies.
● Develop and maintain collaborative research partnerships.
● Organize and represent JOTF at public forums that promote JOTF’s research, program, and policy priorities.
● Convene information-gathering focus groups with key stakeholders who inform and influence JOTF’s research agenda, including local community members, employers, and partners.
● Contribute to grant proposals and reports
● Other duties as assigned
● Excellent written and oral communication skills, including technical writing and public speaking
● Ability to research, analyze problems and propose policy solutions
● Good interpersonal skills, and ability to relate effectively with diverse populations
● Familiarity with workforce trends on issues facing Maryland employers, workers, and job-seekers
● Deep understanding of how federal, state, and local systems most effect the conditions and outcomes of low-wage workers and intersecting communities
● Advanced quantitative skills including data analysis and charting
● Ability to capture, contextualize and disaggregate data to comprehend, uncover, and address systemic inequities
● Must be organized, detail oriented and have the ability to work in both a team setting and individually
● Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously and meet deadlines
● Experience with fact checking and quick turn-around research
● Master’s degree with proven research experience or Bachelor’s degree with at least three years of experience in adult education, workforce development, and workplace policy.
This is a full-time, permanent position. Work will be based out of our downtown Baltimore office during regular business hours, with some off-site meetings and occasional after-hours or weekend events. The ideal candidate will be able to provide his/her own transportation for travel to meetings around the state, community events and to Annapolis during the legislative session. Downtown parking and reimbursement for business travel are included.
The Senior Research Analyst reports directly to JOTF’s Executive and Deputy Directors, and works closely with the policy and program staff.
JOTF strongly values diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. JOTF is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, religious or political affiliation or any other classification considered discriminatory under applicable law. Individuals with a criminal background are encouraged to apply.
For background information about the Job Opportunities Task Force, see our website at www.jotf.org.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and two short writing samples (no longer than 2 pages each), and type “Senior Research Analyst” in the subject line to email@example.com