NPR Education is one of the most innovative and collaborative teams at NPR and we need your help to get even better!
The Assistant Editor will help keep the desk on task, anticipating news and helping to facilitate a balance between covering breaking news and providing in-depth education coverage. The position will help shape the network’s distinctive coverage of education across multiple platforms.
Ideal candidates will bring experience in project management, coverage planning, familiarity with online production, writing and editing for digital media. The position will edit and produce a daily mix of material — news write-ups, coverage roundups, social media posts, a weekly newsletter and more. He or she will have the range to edit stories and manage production workflow on a wide range of stories about education and learning.
Together with a team of reporters, producers and editors, this team member will bring a unique perspective to the topic of education. We’ll also be looking for a demonstrated passion for education and learning and ability to build a diverse community around news education.
- Edits posts daily for NPR.org's education vertical, editing for content, style, and accuracy.
- Provides direction and leadership on social media posting to engage with readers and the NPR community.
- Attend daily news meetings as needed.
- Plans coverage of news events and maintains a publishing schedule.
- Works with team members to make sure deadlines are met.
- Provides coordination with shows and other desks on project and upcoming stories.
- Monitors stories and interviews from NPR shows about education includes NPR Ed coverage when possible.
- Writes and produces a weekly newsletter.
- Works with the art director to ensure visual journalism is on brand and on schedule -- edit and select photographs and visual material for daily stories.
- Coordinates with other Digital News editors about developing stories, aligning NPR Ed with other teams.
- Ensures that materials produced for NPR Ed meet NPR program standards and practices, including standards of accuracy, fairness, honesty and impartiality.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in journalism.
- At least four years’ experience in journalism.
- At least two years’ experience reporting or editing national or international news.
- Excellence in analysis and criticism.
- Demonstrated excellence in editing for the Web and social media.
- Demonstrated excellence in news judgment.
- Demonstrated expertise in and passion for covering a variety of cultures/languages.
- Demonstrated familiarity with NPR's programs, website and other online outlets.
- Ability to aggressively set a coverage and style agenda.
- Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under tight deadlines and changing priorities/conditions.
- Demonstrated, up-to-date understanding of digital concepts and best practices for online journalism.
- Ability to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure. Must be able to edit and manage breaking stories.
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
- Experience editing news copy
- Knowledge of education issues