Web Content Specialist
General Purpose: As the college's main content producer for web and social media, the Web Content Specialist will help tell the stories of St. John's students, faculty, and alumni across digital communications channels, with the goals of attracting applicants and students, inspiring alumni to engage with and support the college, and vividly conveying the vitality of the St. John's learning community in diverse formats.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Under the supervision of the Director of Web Initiatives and Social Media, provide day-to-day editorial and digital content for the college's website and social media channels: Identify newsworthy issues and events at the college, write content, and shoot photos and video to help portray campus life and learning.
- Work with freelancers, staff, and students in Santa Fe to ensure balanced online coverage of both campuses.
- Manage and mentor freelance writers and student writers, as needed.
- Post or produce a minimum of three to five pieces of content on www.sjc.edu each week, independently or as assigned by the Director.
- Promote website content daily via social media, schedule posts in advance as necessary, and maintain a social media and editorial calendar.
- Implement local public relations strategy for media engagement and press releases for Annapolis (defer to Director of Communications for all national public relations); assist in emergency situations that may require communications support.
- Coordinate digital marketing production, such as enewsletters and emails, as requested.
- Serve as proofreader, editor, and copywriter-as needed-for college communications including marketing content, newsletters, web pages, and digital and print collateral.
- Explore new tools and capabilities to drive innovation in social media and content distribution to increase online engagement.
- May be asked to work non-traditional hours (including evenings, weekends, and holidays) to ensure online coverage of campus events.
Compensation: Grade 11 Base Rate-$46,824.07, based on 35 hr work week, excellent benefits.
- Highly collaborative and creative
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in marketing, journalism, communications, or English
- One to three years of related experience working on a website, writing online content, or blogging, or an acceptable combination of education and experience.
- Must know Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and HTML; ability to learn new software and use social media professionally
- Experience posting content to a website using content management systems, preferably Concrete5
- Strong understanding of how to produce content for the web in terms of timeliness, speed, length, style, and best practices
- Great customer service skills, including the ability to cultivate and maintain positive working relationships inside and outside of the organization
- Clear understanding of the relationship between social media and website content, with the ability to conceptualize cross-platform campaigns
- Awareness of basic SEO concepts and the use of keywords in content and headlines to improve search engine rankings
- Capacity to effectively manage parallel responsibilities and projects
- Flexibility to help define and succeed in an evolving role. Ability to manage ambiguity and respond quickly to changes
- Expert attention to detail and deadlines
- Excellent written communication and interpersonal skills
- Superior organizational and planning skills
- Photography and video (shooting and editing) skills are a plus
- Familiarity with St. John's college is highly desirable, and will be assessed during the application review and interview process
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to Annapolis.Jobs@sjc.edu