Public Relations Director
The Director of Public Relations designs and executes public and media relations efforts for all of HJF’s audiences across the United States and international locations. This position reports to the Vice President, Communications and will develop and implement a broad range of public and media relations activities in support of HJF’s mission, vision, values and priorities.
- Develops and implements a public relations strategy that increases brand awareness and clarifies brand experience of HJF through various events, engagements, interviews, op-eds and public facing opportunities.
- Brainstorms, pitches and secures proactive media opportunities, op-ed placements, influencer meetings and events through traditional and digital channels.
- Creates, issues and maintains an annual public relations plan that details the strategy, tactics, messages, channels, outcomes and measurements to achieve organizational success.
- Serves as the primary public relations advisor to HJF throughout the world in need of crisis communication, media training, media placement or overall, proactive and reactive strategic public relations guidance.
- Fields incoming media inquiries, develops media contacts in print, television, radio and other industry and community influencers important to HJF’s mission.
- Creates partnerships with other public relations professionals throughout the HJF public and private sector network to ensure we are supporting partners and customers to promote key initiatives.
- Authors and leads the design of press materials, including media kits, op-eds, media talking points, executive media interview briefs, news releases, website content and fact sheets on organizational programs, initiatives and key messages.
- Prepares corporate spokespeople for media interview through media training, facilitates and staffs media interviews with appropriate staff persons and creates relevant briefing materials.
- Supervises and teams with Public Relations Staff.
- Serves as a highly positive and collaborative partner with colleagues throughout the organization.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Requires superior writing and editing skills with a demonstrated ability to write for multi-media. Adept at taking creative approaches to sourcing, identifying, and creating compelling earned national and global narratives covered by traditional and digital media. Outstanding interpersonal, relationship building and coaching skills both within and outside the organization. Proven success at leveraging digital as well as traditional media.
Must be able to articulate and execute clear strategies and tactics and at the same time be able to adjust and pivot when circumstances dictate.
Candidates will be required to provide public relations credentials – samples of three best pieces of work as well as active contacts in traditional and digital channels.
Minimum Education/Training: Bachelor of Arts degree in English, Communications or Journalism.
Minimum Experience: 10+ years’ experience in communications or a related field, specifically for a nonprofit organization interacting with the public and private sector.
Physical Capabilities: Prolonged sitting and working at a computer.
Work Environment: Office environment.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.