As the nation’s largest anti-sexual violence organization, RAINN is a dynamic organization focused on victim services, public education, public policy, and consulting services. With the national conversation focused on sexual assault and harassment, there has never been a more important time to join the fight against sexual violence.
RAINN’s visibility is at an all-time high. As a member of RAINN’S Communications team, the Press Secretary is RAINN's primary media liaison and is responsible for leading media outreach. The Press Secretary will work closely with the Vice President of Communications to shape messages that promote awareness of RAINN programs and mission to the public and key influencers. The Press Secretary will report directly to the Vice President of Communications.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Generate visibility and usage of RAINN's programs, such as the National Sexual Assault Hotline and public policy priorities.
- Respond to press inquiries and assist members of the media with research and expert commentary.
- Identify and cultivate new relationships with members of the media, including online media and daytime talk shows.
- Research and identify story opportunities and pitch media outlets.
- Monitor news relevant to RAINN's mission and pursue opportunities for new actions.
- Lead development and implementation of media outreach strategies.
- Assist VP of Communications with growing entertainment portrayal of sexual violence in television shows and news programs.
- Draft written materials including press releases and talking points.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree, preferable degree in a field related to Communications or Public Relations.
- 3-5 years media relations experience.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills and high attention to detail.
- Deep understanding of the changing media landscape and outreach.
- Demonstrated success with national media outlets.
- Articulate, organized and able to multi-task in a dynamic, fast-changing, entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent time management, organizational and prioritization skills.
- Strong personal initiative, team player, self-starter.
- Must be willing to work outside of office hours pending media requests.
- Commitment to RAINN's mission and goals.
- Must complete a criminal background check (administered by RAINN).
There are no harmful environmental conditions that are present for this position. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above describes the general content of requirements for the performance of this job. It is not an exhaustive statement of the essential functions, responsibilities, or requirements.
Submit resume, cover letter with salary requirements, and writing samples to VP, Communications at https://rainn.applicantpro.com/jobs/999211.html
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please no phone calls.