The Senior Vice President of Government Affairs reports directly into the Executive Vice President of Community, States, and National Affairs. This role is responsible for developing and implementing AARP’s federal and state legislative strategy, while overseeing the implementation, management, and coordination of AARP government relations and advocacy activities in support of organizational objectives. Additionally, the role represents AARP in the public arena on matters requiring expert analysis on public policies and their impact on older persons, to include representing AARP before symposia, academic, media, government and other audiences. Serving as a national spokesperson, the SVP will speak before key audiences of opinion leaders, legislators, and federal and state executives, the press, and other key players in the policy arena.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
· Ensures consistency and effectiveness in advocacy including judicial, legislative, and regulatory.
· Advises appropriate staff/management on trends in advocacy that impact AARP business, programmatic, and legislative strategies.
· Assesses impact of AARP decisions upon public policy, industry, business and government communities.
· Supports overall AARP objectives as senior level representation before external bodies, including lobbying of elected and appointed officials and participation and management of legislative coalition activities.
· Actively builds and maintains relationships with key administration, legislative, and government leaders, while ensuring transparent two-way communications.
· Oversees the selection and direction of external legislative and governmental consultants.
· Collaborates with AARP's SVP of Integrated Campaigns and SVP of States & Community Engagement on a regular basis and across the enterprise, as needed, to advance overall AARP priorities.
· Collaborates with government relations personnel in other organizations to assess issues of mutual concerns and develop strategies for effective response.
· Coordinates with and, as appropriate, guides the overall legal advocacy activities associated with the work of the AARP Foundation.
· Identifies trends in public policy that impact AARP strategic priorities and decision-making. Ensures that full consideration of impact on memberships and constituency is based upon the policy research of AARP. Addresses the major challenges facing older persons in the judicial and public policy arena, including in the near term Social Security and other retirement income programs, Medicare and other health care programs, and a specified range of consumer protection issues and programs.
· Guides staff in managing activities that incorporate the input and capabilities of state-based advocacy staff. Maintains reporting relationships to ensure well-managed utilization of resources to support state enactment of advocacy objectives.
· Ensures that advocacy positions, statements, and messages are consistent with public policies. Works in close consultation with the Office of Policy and Strategy to ensure consistency and coordination of advocacy, policy research and analysis, and policy development.
· Provides change leadership through clear articulation of the vision of true social impact and the opportunities for each individual within the Association to align performance for success. Responsible for building trust to persuade individuals to change the way they do business. This includes giving strategic counsel and empowering operating units to enable them to best accomplish their responsibilities.
· Manages general department functions and creates opportunities to nurture and develop staff.
· Exhibits AARP values at all times.
· Completion of an advanced degree and at least 12 + years of professional experience with extensive work in legislation, public policy, electoral, and grassroots mobilization at the state and federal level, or an equivalent combination of training and experience related to the duties of the position.
· Demonstrated expertise in the coordination of government relations and advocacy activities in support of organizational objectives.
· Proven ability to lead a diverse team of professionals and manage staff in analyzing, planning, developing, and implementing major projects and initiatives.
· Proven ability to manage effectively in a matrix environment, empower staff and contribute to cross-functional efforts.
· Demonstrated ability to collaborate across the enterprise in an extremely complex organization and to gain internal respect and build consensus from superiors, peers and subordinates.
· A bottom-line orientation and a proven track record of exceeding goals. Substantial and successful management experience.
· Action orientation. A decisive, quick study with proven ability to accurately analyze information, identify key trends, and complete strategic operations.
· Demonstrated strategic thinking and planning skills and the ability to communicate strategic plans to team and others. Exhibits sound political judgement.
· Excellent oral/written presentation and organizational skills. Excellent at follow-up and attention to detail. Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and partnership development skills.
· Knowledgeable of latest technological advocacy techniques.
To apply, go to http://adtrk.tw/tp/rj6-vFqzK-e.K
Go to www.aarp.org/careers and search for job ID 12460129
Make sure you let us know where you saw this posting!