Climate Advisers - a respected research and public policy group dedicated to strengthening climate action in the United States and around the world - seeks a Communications Associate to help develop and execute the firm’s communications strategies and grow its communications consulting practice. The ideal candidate will have interest and experience in using traditional media, social media and other communications tools to achieve measurable results, as well as experience in climate-related campaigns. The position offers significant opportunities for growth and professional development, working with a highly-motivated and collaborative team of experts.
This is a full-time, regular position based in Washington, DC and reports to the Director of Communications.
- Support the development and execution of Climate Advisers’ communications strategy, which includes media outreach, website management, social media management, email marketing and event coordination
- Help to manage the suite of Climate Advisers’ social media accounts by developing engaging content for relevant target audiences and designing targeted advertising campaigns
- Build media lists, help pitch the Climate Advisers’ content to media outlets and track coverage
- Write and edit public-facing material including blog posts, press releases, media advisories, press statements, website content, presentations, talking points and other compelling communications that serve to translate technical material for various audiences
- Serve as liaison with third parties, including web developers, graphic designers, customer relationship management (“CRM”) vendor and other software providers
- Coordinate CRM process, ensuring distribution lists are kept up-to-date and are used effectively to share Climate Advisers’ communications
- Oversee Climate Advisers’ brand guidelines to ensure all outgoing products are in appropriate style and format
- Develop and execute creative ways to translate analysis and policy recommendations into compelling storylines, including through multimedia online content, such as videos, photos, and infographics
- Perform other tasks as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or a related field required (e.g. international relations, development or environmental studies). Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years full-time professional experience working in communications, with a link to international sustainable development, environmental governance or broader environmental issues.
- Experience with planning, coordinating and executing communications products, influence strategies and audience targeting.
- Experience with website content management systems (WordPress strongly preferred).
- Strong organizational, coordination, and project management skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and persuasively in conversation and in writing.
- Strong computer skills, including a high level of proficiency with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Deep commitment to Climate Advisers’ mission: strengthening climate action in the United States and around the world.
- Articulate, versatile and highly skilled writer, comfortable working within a high-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Adaptable to rapidly changing priorities and able to manage multiple deadlines.
- Critical thinker who can analyze complex and technical content and convey it in an engaging and accessible manner to diverse audiences.
- Excellent design sense and visual storytelling ability. Some experience with graphic design preferred.
- Experience working with reporters or members of the media preferred.
- International experience or prior work in a global organization preferred.