The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is looking for an addition to our dynamic Communications team of visual storytellers, media specialists, and web content managers. As Multimedia Intern, you will assist in translating UCS research and analysis into bold graphics and compelling video for social media and web content. Whether you’re filming or shooting photos of our scientists in the field, editing video from an on-set shoot, or creating motion graphics for animated memes, you’ll be helping to put scientific facts and data at the center of visual storytelling for over a half-million supporters, and inspiring them to take action. This is a great opportunity to learn about nonprofit visual communications, and work for an organization committed to creating real change in the world.
· Assist in scripting, shooting, and editing video content intended for traditional and social media outlets.
· Collaborate with Communications colleagues and program staff to design eye-catching graphics and visuals.
· Work with Communications colleagues on new content strategies for various fast-moving campaigns, and promoting UCS as a whole.
Qualifications and Experience
· Familiarity with or some experience working in design, media production, or advertising
· A strong eye for design and composition with the ability to quickly generate compelling visual content
· Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud programs including Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, Photoshop, and Illustrator. Familiarity with Cinema 4D and Lightroom are a plus
· Experience shooting events and video with DSLR cameras
· An interest in our mission of empowering people everywhere to create the change they want to see in the world;
· Strong organization and time management skills, comfort with working in a fast-paced environment and managing multiple tasks;
· A willingness to have fun and be open to experimentation: our team is constantly trying new tactics, taking risks, and pushing ourselves to challenge assumptions
May be expected to shoot footage and still photography outdoors and on-location. This may include carrying or lifting of equipment and extended time standing or walking.
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we’re dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We've adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in this work.
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a paid one-year full-time, benefitted internship based in UCS’s Cambridge, MA office. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is $36,400 annualized. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org. A listing of all open jobs is available at https://www.ucsusa.org/about/jobs-ucs.
To Apply: Please go to https://www.workable.com/j/1E0CEC300D upload a cover letter and resume with links to work samples or website. Please include salary requirements in the cover letter. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please.
Deadline: May 19, 2019 or until filled.