The Office of the Chief Economist at the American Petroleum Institute (API) develops and presents economics and energy information and analysis in support of API segments (e.g., Downstream, Upstream, Midstream and Market Development) and departments (e.g., Communications, State Relations and Federal Relations). The Research Analyst works with the Chief Economist to analyze and process information required to monitor, report upon, and develop presentations, articles/blog posts, appropriate comparisons and other materials that help enable API’s market insight and advocacy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Data management, analysis and computer graphics support for a mix of discrete short-term requirements as well as ongoing longer-term activities, including contributions to API’s Monthly Statistical Report, quarterly Industry Outlook and ad hoc economics and energy research and articles.
· Support for modeling and analysis, both for core energy market analysis and ad hoc projects.
· Actively collaborate across API Departments to advance various policy-related initiatives and external advocacy.
· Participate in outreach efforts related to areas of responsibility.
· Present API studies to outside groups in areas of his/her expertise.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
· Bachelor’s degree in Economics or related discipline and 1-5 years professional experience in energy or environmental-related field. Direct experience in energy- and climate-related issues and/or Upstream/Downstream issues a plus.
· Excellent computer skills, including spreadsheet, graphics, word processing and statistics proficiency.
· Intellectually curious and keen to find, retrieve, organize and share information. Automation skills in data search and retrieval a plus.
· Team orientation, collaborative mindset.
· Excellent analytical, written communication and presentation skills.
· Ability to handle multiple issues concurrently and to prioritize.
· Flexibility, creativity, and an ability to grasp new concepts quickly.
· Familiarity and understanding of general economic, energy and statistical concepts.
· General business knowledge.
· Ability to meet tight deadlines while maintaining high work quality.
· API uses Microsoft Office and relies extensively on PowerPoint, Excel and Word.