Director of Development
Earth Day Network is a driving force steering environmental awareness around the world. EDN’s network reaches over 22,000 organizations in 192 countries, while the domestic program engages 5,000 groups and over 30,000 educators coordinating millions of community development and environmental protection activities throughout the year. Our mission is to grow and diversify the environmental movement worldwide, and to mobilize it as the most effective vehicle for promoting a healthy, sustainable planet. We pursue our mission through education, politics, events, and consumer activism.
Earth Day Network (EDN) is seeking to hire a very special person who is enthusiastic, multi-talented, and ready to dive into a job at the center of a busy organization and who will:
- Have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow a $3-5 million annual budget through the solicitation of major gifts, corporate sponsorships and foundation support.
- Work closely with the Senior Vice President and Vice President of Marketing and Development to ensure the financial health of Earth Day Network and build and implement a strong, diversified fundraising program.
As EDN’s Director of Development your principal duties will include the following:
- In coordination with senior leadership team, establish and implement the infrastructure needed to raise revenue to meet Earth Day 2020 and annual budgets through corporate and foundation support, the solicitation of major gifts, special events, and online fundraising
- Work closely with the leadership team and Board of Directors to ensure the financial health of Earth Day Network and build and implement a strong, diversified fundraising program.
- Together with VP of Marketing and Development, contribute to achieving fundraising goals and the organizational plan for researching and securing six-seven figure+ corporate prospects across all sectors.
- Help build a pipeline of desirable prospects and develop company-specific approach plans, which may include philanthropic/foundation grants, cause marketing, sponsorship of EDN campaigns, communications partnerships and employee engagement.
- Work closely with the Marketing & Communications teams other EDN departments with EDN to leverage all company assets to initiate innovative ideas and maximize opportunities.
- Pursue, secure and execute national and international philanthropic, sponsorship, cause marketing, and licensing partnerships to support specific events and initiatives.
- Together with VP of Marketing and Development, manage corporate partnership accounts on an on-going basis.
- Write and design high-quality proposals as part of partner solicitation
- Plan, host and/or attend meetings with corporate prospects with ability to lead and present to meeting.
- Manage and oversee development and execution of foundation and individual donor proposals; write and archive proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach.
- Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position EDN ahead of major funding changes or trends.
- Monitor all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to board and senior leadership.
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors.
- Help identify, develop, and mentor the development team.
- Together with VP of Marketing and Development, help supervise EDN’s day to day funding activities and the activities of the fundraising staff and consultants.
- Work with appropriate staff to increase the fundraising potential of EDN’s website, online campaigns and e-store.
- Once agreements and grants are confirmed, work to ensure that obligations and reporting requirements are met.
- Help develop special projects as needed.
About Earth Day Network
- Earth Day Network (EDN) is a driving force steering environmental awareness around the world. Our mission is to grow and diversify the environmental movement worldwide, and to mobilize it as the most effective vehicle for promoting a healthy, sustainable planet. We pursue our mission through education, politics, events, and consumer activism.
- EDN reaches more than one billion people through our partnerships with 50,000 organizations and hundreds of thousands of teachers/educators and students in 192 countries and by engaging resources, campaigns, and programs year-round.
- EDN offers competitive salary compensation with commensurate with experience and a complete benefits package including paid vacation, sick leave, and retirement benefits.
- Earth Day Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Education: College degree preferred.
- Knowledge: Extensive knowledge of the environmental field, grassroots organizing, field work, and building organizational capacity.
- Work Experience: At least five years of field organizing on the state and/or national level. Significant supervisory and training experience.
- Skills: Excellent written and oral communication skills; strong interpersonal, supervisory strategic planning and training skills; excellent media skills; good computer skills; familiarity with database programs helpful.
- Capabilities: Ability to work well with a wide range of people, work well under pressure, and adapt to changing situations.
- Long hours possible; travel required
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates, please forward a cover letter, including salary requirements, and a resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Development – ‘your full name’ ” in the subject line.