The National Retail Federation (NRF) has represented retail for over a century. Every day, we passionately stand up for the people, policies and ideas that help retail thrive. As the nation’s largest private-sector employer, retail contributes $2.6 trillion to the annual gross domestic product (GDP); no other industry comes close. Wherever the industry goes, the nation follows — so we’re committed to helping retail go further.
NRF has an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated Director to contribute to Communications & PR team. This role is responsible for developing and managing NRF’s media relations efforts to advance the organization’s strategic goals, drive coverage of various initiatives and events and promote a positive industry narrative.
• Serve as an on-the-record spokesperson for the organization and cultivate relationships with reporters.
• Pitch stories to targeted media contacts and promote NRF initiatives and events.
• Provide timely information to the press and work to build a positive media narrative surrounding the industry.
• Collaborate cross-divisionally to develop messaging on consumer research, industry trends and key policy and economic issues.
• Prepare and execute crisis-communications plans relating to controversial issues and events affecting retailers.
• Coordinate and schedule print and broadcast media interviews for NRF experts; prepare briefing materials and talking points.
• Manage media efforts surrounding NRF conferences, including Retail’s BIG Show.
• Work in partnership with the NRF Foundation to develop media strategies relating to programs and events, including its annual gala.
• Advise NRF experts and spokespeople on media matters and accompany execs on interviews.
• Draft press releases, statements and other materials relating to consumer and industry trends, policy developments and NRF conferences.
• Monitor consumer and industry trends and stay informed of policy issues impacting the retail industry.
• Coach junior staff to support the development and execution of communication strategies and content.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree in related field or higher.
• A minimum of 5-7 years of relevant communications experience working with PR firms, political campaigns, trade associations or similar organizations or on Capitol Hill.
• On-the-record experience as a spokesperson.
• Established network of media contacts.
• Experience managing and implementing media strategies.
• Excellent writing and editing skills and ability to message complex issues.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with high attention to detail and strong organization skills.
• Experience in event communications or advance work with ability to effectively coordinate logistics.
• Ability to analyze, distill and message consumer data and identify strategic research opportunities.
• Experience interacting with and briefing high-level executives and CEOs.
• Ability to develop and pitch ideas/stories to media and to communicate effectively and persuasively in a variety of environments.
• Familiarity of Cision or other PR software and best practices.
• Ability to work under minimal supervision, lead team projects and take initiative.
• Ability to work in a team environment and coach others.
• Some travel required.
National Retail Federation (NRF) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NRF is committed to the policy of an equal employment opportunity in recruitment, hiring, career advancement, and all other personnel practices. NRF will not discriminate because of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, past or present military service, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state and local law.