Executive Vice President, Policy
American Progress seeks an Executive Vice President for Policy who will work closely with the President and CEO. This position will provide strategic consultation and policy analysis on issues affecting the organization. The Executive Vice President for Policy will work with all departments to develop policy products and programs.
American Progress is a progressive think tank dedicated to improving the lives of Americans through ideas and action. The organization is creating a long-term, progressive vision for America—a vision that policymakers, thought leaders, and activists can use to shape the national debate and pass laws that make a difference.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervise and manage policy team leads and senior fellows.
- Manage long-term and strategic planning and determine policy priorities.
- Drive new policy initiatives and American Progress’ position on issues.
- Represent American Progress to press and outside stakeholders.
- Manage and approve all policy projects, including workflow and goals, staffing, and funding priorities.
- Coordinate and integrate the activities of department heads and staff in the development and implementation of policy and products.
- Manage and build crosscutting policies and initiatives across teams and senior fellows.
- Serve as a member of the Executive Committee and as a key liaison with staff and board of directors.
- Provide policy analysis and strategic consultation to the President and CEO and executive management.
- Manage independent consultants and contracts, including drafting and reviewing their work plans.
- Build and manage strong individual and foundation fundraising relationships.
- Help fundraise for the institution and specific projects.
- Conduct direct fundraising with policy department heads in support of teams or projects.
- Provide key leadership with internal and external stakeholders in the representation and development of strategic program and policy initiatives.
- Oversee the preparation of reports, briefings, presentations, and responses on American Progress issues.
- Provide ad hoc analysis and decision support for the President and CEO and strategic management team.
- Identify and capitalize on areas of opportunity internally and externally in support of American Progress’ mission.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Advanced degree and 10 years of professional experience in political, legislative, government, and/or nonprofit organizations required, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to set and achieve strategic priorities for a large, multifaceted team of policy and/or advocacy personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage many projects with competing priorities, delegate responsibilities, and collaborate with others as needed to achieve success in all areas.
- Commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide group of employees, partners, and funders.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Policy expertise is important.
- Ability to raise funds for progressive projects and initiatives is recommended.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and demonstrated commitment to progressive ideals.