National Farmers Union, the oldest general farm organization in the United States, advocates for 200,000 family farmers and ranchers and the communities in which they live. We are looking to grow our team with bright and ambitious individuals who are just as committed to improving the food and farm system as we are.
The Government Relations (GR) Director’s primary focus is to supervise and lead the GR team, lobby members of Congress, congressional staff and appropriate federal agencies. The GR Director will provide background research, draft policy documents and correspondence, and disseminate information to Congress, the administration and National Farmers Union members. This individual will represent National Farmers Union with outside organizations, coalitions, and the media.
· Supervise and lead the GR team on policy matters
· Lobby members of Congress, congressional staff and federal agencies. Assist with developing and enhancing relationships with members
· Coordinate the development and implementation of a comprehensive policy strategy
· Create, lead and help execute strategic plans on issue campaigns, including direction of advocacy and relationship with legislators and federal agencies
· Represent National Farmers Union (NFU) at coalition meetings and coordinate joint efforts with outside organizations
· Draft correspondence to the administration, federal agencies and Congress on requested issues
· Provide issues updates via memo to NFU leadership and conduct research for background facts, history and data. Develop charts and graphs for use in testimonies, comments, press and talking points
· Research and prepare written testimony for congressional hearings and comments on federal rule making process
· Provide timely and substantive background materials for NFU communication needs. Work with the team to articulate NFU policy positions in a clear and compelling manner.
· Create background materials and draft outlines in conjunction with the Communications Department for all NFU presentations
· Represent NFU with the media on requested issues
· Communicate with the board of directors on policy issues
· Assist with the coordination and management of NFU events that impact policy advocacy which includes the Policy Committee, Fly-In and NFU Convention
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
· Strong knowledge and understanding of agricultural policy and practices
· Working knowledge of federal policy-making process
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and effective listing skills
· Superior interpersonal and relationship building skills. Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment and interact effectively with all levels across the organization
· Demonstrated ability to develop and implement comprehensive strategies
· Exceptional planning, organizing and prioritization skills, and follow-up skills
· Outstanding attention to detail, knowledge retention and ability to recall large amounts of detailed information
· Professional presentation and demeanor. Ability to positively and professionally represent the organization at events and with the media
· Ability to be flexible, shift priorities and adapt quickly to changes
· Demonstrated ability to successfully manage projects and assignments with competing priorities, deadlines and demands
· Sound judgement and decision-making skills. Ability to assess a situation, gather information and apply logic and critical thinking skills to evaluate risks and determine an appropriate course of action
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Ability to understand when to escalate matters to the next level and/or seek guidance
· Strong leadership abilities, and ability to learn and acquire new concepts and/or skills quickly
· Ability to travel to domestically, as needed
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor’s degree required. Additional education is a plus
· Relevant legislative experience and/or experience working with federal agencies’
· Prior experience developing and implementing short-term and long-term strategies
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefit package includes paid health, dental, and vision insurance, paid vacations and holidays, and a generous 401k retirement plan.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 15, 2019. Please add “Government Relations Director” in the subject line of the email.