The Salvation Army is seeking an experienced Director of Advancement professional to implement and conduct a Leadership Gifts fundraising strategy/program to significantly increase the impact of major gifts fundraising for the National Capital Area Command.
The Salvation Army, the world’s largest charitable organization that is “doing the most good,” operates in communities across the United States. We are committed to meeting human needs wherever we can by providing food distribution, disaster relief, rehabilitation centers, anti-human trafficking efforts, housing for homeless, children’s programs and many other programs.
The Director of Advancement position will be responsible for raising funds through major outright and deferred gifts generated from individuals for the National Capital Area Command of the National Capital and Virginia Division; developing and nurturing a Donor Portfolio; maintaining accurate and timely donor records; entering reports in the CRM database: supervising the assignment and successful implementation of donors to all Area Command Donor Portfolios and is responsible for the ongoing management of these Donor Portfolios. The position will also establish and maintain effective donor relationships and communication; serve as liaison to Area Command and Advisory Organization members, as well as other Development staff at the Divisional and Area Command level in order to achieve development goals. Incumbent must live in Arlington, Virginia or anywhere in the National Capital area. Travel within this area is required for the position.
We are looking for candidates with a proven track record of success and the following skills and experience:
- 8 years’ major gift, development and gift planning fundraising experience
- 5+ years’ prior success closing major and deferred gifts
- Proven history of establishing and maintaining strong long-term donor relationships
- Demonstrated major gifts experience working in the Washington, D.C. metro area preferred
- Excellent oral, written, presentation skills
- Bachelor’s degree for an accredited college or university
- Affinity for the mission of The Salvation Army
OR any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.