Council for a Strong America (CSA) is a national, bipartisan nonprofit that unites five organizations comprised of law enforcement leaders, retired admirals and generals, business executives, pastors, and prominent coaches and athletes who promote evidence-based solutions that ensure the next generation of Americans will be successful, productive members of society.
Our more than 9,000 members bring decades of expertise and leadership across our communities and at the state and national levels to promote evidence-based policies that strengthen our country. CSA is a dynamic, engaging organization working at the federal level and in all 50 states, with a proven, 20-year track record of strengthening families, communities, the economy, and our national security.
CSA currently seeks an Associate for its Communications team. The Associate should have at least one year of communications experience, with particular experience in media outreach. The candidate should also have demonstrated expertise in written communications. Experience with tracking and logging media clips is strongly preferred.
The Associate will report to the Director of Communications. The person in this position will play a role in developing and maintaining relationships with media outlets of all types in order to promote CSA’s work and policy victories. In addition to being a key part of CSA’s major policy campaigns, the Associate will also support the Communications’ team’s efforts in proactively identifying earned media opportunities, as well as helping to facilitate any rapid response efforts, as needed. Finally, the person in this position will also support the Communications team by creating written products such as op/eds, letters to the editor, talking points, and other products commonly associated with CSA’s work.
- Pitch and promote CSA’s work to local and/or national media outlets in conjunction with press events and activities designed to influence state and federal policy and build visibility for the organization and its work.
- Help to proactively identify earned media opportunities for CSA, particularly in markets that are of key strategic value for federal or state policy advocacy
- Monitor media coverage and track and log placements and references associated with CSA, its work, and/or its members, including regularly updating our database of print and video clips.
- Create media-facing products, such as talking points, press releases, and media advisories.
- Create other products, as needed, such as op/eds or letters to the editor.
- Collaborate effectively with state offices.
- Perform copy editing of materials for publication.
- Experience in communications, including external communications.
- Experience working directly with the media.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- High degree of initiative, creativity, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to multi-task effectively and successfully meet deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a matrixed team environment.
- Travel to out of state media events
- Frequency: 1-2 trips per month
- Overnight: Yes
- Duration: 1-2 days
Council for a Strong America is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is seeking a diverse slate of candidates for formal consideration