The Food Research & Action Center (FRAC), a nonprofit public policy, research, and advocacy organization that works to end hunger in the U.S., is seeking a Communications Associate. The successful candidate has experience in managing, coordinating, and publishing compelling website content and implementing drive-to-web strategies, including Search Engine Optimization. The Communications Associate reports to the Director of Communications.
FRAC is the leading national nonprofit organization working to end hunger and undernutrition in the United States. FRAC works in partnership with hundreds of national, state and local nonprofit organizations, public agencies, corporations and labor organizations to address hunger and food insecurity, and poverty as their root cause. FRAC engages in research, policy analysis and advocacy, dissemination and implementation of best practices, coalition-building and an array of communications strategies.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Communications Department is responsible for promoting FRAC's mission, its brand and its programs through the media, publications, events, and digital communications. This position will be responsible for initiating and implementing web content and email strategies. The Communications Associate will:
• Plan, coordinate, manage, produce, and update content across FRAC’s four websites;
• Develop workflow systems to ensure web content and messaging are timely, accurate, and consistent and reflect FRAC’s brand voice;
• Use search intent as a driver for creating web content and implement a storytelling approach to produce, edit, and post content;
• Create and recommend drive-to-web strategies;
• Stay abreast of, and integrate cutting-edge web content trends and tools;
• Manage and maintain email and CRM database (currently using Salsa);
• Proof and distribute all e-mail blasts;
• Oversee and manage the schedule, coordination and technical production of webinars and all online events by working closely with program staff;
• Track and report monthly website analytics as well as metrics on webinar attendance and email blasts;
• Align web efforts with social media efforts by coordinating and collaborating with the Digital Media Associate;
• Manage webinar and other tech vendor relationships;
• Research, write and edit FRAC’s Weekly News Digest e-newsletter and aim to significantly increase the number and quality of subscribers for all FRAC e-publications;
• Assist the Communications Director in communications efforts around the National Anti-Hunger Policy Conference, Hunger Leaders Meeting, Annual Benefit Dinner and other events; and,
• Other projects as assigned by Communications Director.
Experience and Qualifications
• Bachelor's degree required;
• 1-2 years experience in developing and managing website content;
• Proficiency in WordPress;
• Familiarity with Salsa preferred, but not required;
• Strategic thinker with an editorial mindset that seeks to understand what content stakeholder audiences consume and how to create it;
• An eye for detail and design;
• Ability to work collaboratively with staff across the organization;
• Strong written and verbal communications skills;
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and complete projects accurately and quickly; and,
• Commitment to social justice.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous leave, health, retirement and other benefits.
Send resume, cover letter, writing samples (no more than 3 pages) and sample website content:
Food Research &Action Center 1200 18th Street NW, Suite 400
Washington, DC 20036
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Please include “Communications Associate” in subject line.) Fax: 202-986-2525
The position is available immediately. It will close when filled. However, FRAC seeks to hire a qualified individual as soon as possible.
FRAC is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity of the organization. FRAC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. FRAC is firmly committed to a policy against discrimination based on age, sex, race, religious creed, sexual orientation, disability, or ethnic or national origin.