The Managing Editor for Education Week will join a newsroom that is remaking itself to put audience needs and community engagement at the center of our journalistic efforts. We are a mission-driven news organization—one of the first non-profit newsrooms—with a tradition of excellence and a passion for serving the K-12 education field. Now, we’re looking for a newsroom leader who will bring fresh energy and innovative thinking to our audience-focused cause. You will lead a team of editors in developing news coverage and audience engagement strategies as overlapping goals rather than separate ones. You’ll partner with the Editor-in-Chief to set ambitious newsroom goals and you’ll share in the fun of working with a dedicated and talented team of journalists.
Education Week is at an exciting point in its history, a time of transition and opportunity. We are making major investments in our digital operations through a strategic redesign of edweek.org, a major technology upgrade that includes a new CMS and exciting brand work. With these changes, the Managing Editor will have the chance to make an instant impact as we relaunch the Education Week name and get new tools to help to help us fulfill our mission of super serving the education community that counts on us.
• Lead daily news meeting and set coverage agenda in coordination with editor teams and visuals leadership
• Lead newsroom efforts to understand the news and information needs of our key audience groups through analytics and other forms of interaction and turn those insights into highly relevant news and information
• Manage assigned team of editors, providing editorial guidance, strategic direction and professional develop opportunities
• Assure overall quality and value to our audience of the daily and weekly news report for Education Week
• Oversee editorial plans for all Education Week channels including web, newsletter, newspaper and others
• Oversee development of weekly print story budget and page plan, helping ensure timely and appropriate delivery of all stories, photos and other elements required for print edition
• Oversee development and management of editorial calendar, working with Marketing, Development and other business teams to satisfy scheduling demands for events, webinars and publications
• Maintain records of grant obligations and ensure that those obligations are met
• Coordinate with production department to ensure that advertising and editorial needs are in sync for weekly publication and special reports
• Bachelor’s degree, with at least 5-7 years’ related experience in a news, media, information, or education organization
• Extensive knowledge of the field of K-12 education; dedication to the mission of Education Week
• Excellent news judgment; ability to recognize news and trends in education, and conceptualize appropriate coverage and content for Education Week and its multiple platforms
• Excellent hands-on editing skills
• Ability to work independently with limited supervision
• Strong orientation toward delivering results, able to set organization-level priorities and manage teams to achieve them
• Excellent supervisory skills, including the proven ability to coach employees, and prioritize their work when required
• Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate professionally with various levels of management and audience
• Good team player; willingness to assist others and share expertise
• Excellent time management, organizational, and prioritization skills
• Detail-oriented, deadline-focused, and able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Proficient in editorial software programs and comfortable adapting to changing technologies in those programs
• Able to work flexible schedule as required to meet needs of business
• Extremely ethical, conscientious, and displays a high level of integrity
Profile of the Ideal Candidate
• Excellent journalist
• Experience leading creative professionals in a goal-oriented environment
• Collaborative leader able to understand and demonstrate professionalism
• Extremely ethical, conscientious, with a high degree of integrity
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
Benefits and Perks
Education Week is a vibrant workplace that is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Bethesda, MD. We are within short walking distance of numerous restaurants and shops, the Metro, and are adjacent to The Capital Crescent Trail. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including health and dental insurance, a 401(k), and an on-site gym. We value innovation, leadership, and forward-thinking, and provide a friendly, intellectual, challenging work environment where employees can thrive and grow professionally.
Education Week is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all individuals to apply. All applications received will be considered on merit.
If you feel comfortable doing so please feel free to note which pronouns you use in your application (for example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, ze/zir/zirs, etc.)
Education Week will not be able to sponsor applicants for work visas.
Click HERE to apply!