Renewable Energy Policy Director
Consider joining the Duke Energy team, where you will find a friendly work environment, opportunities for growth and development, recognition for your work, and competitive pay and benefits.
The Renewable Energy Policy Director, as a member of the Federal Government & Corporate Affairs function, is responsible for providing leadership and direction in the development of strategy for Duke Energy’s renewable businesses, including consistent policy and message development, outreach and relationship building, public affairs and other activities.
- Collaborate with relevant business partners to identify and develop pragmatic/ambitious federal public policy solutions, which accelerate Duke Energy’s goals in the renewables sector.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with key external stakeholders to effectively shape federal policy as it relates to Duke’s renewable generation strategy and goals.
- Working with business partners and federal government affairs to establish and help deliver Duke Energy’s public policy goals regarding energy policy with a particular focus on renewable generation and related matters.
- Provide necessary support to business operations in negotiating renewable policy matters with a focus on value.
- Work with federal government affairs, corporate communications and other internal/external entities to assist in developing advocacy plans to deliver policy/business priorities and ensure successful policy outcomes.
- Identify and proactively address public policy trends, which would help/hamper Duke’s business strategy.
- Serve as public policy advisor to Vice President, Public Policy and senior management as required.
- Develop and maintain regular communication channels and messages and engaging in strategic planning to identify creative solutions to company challenges and opportunities.
- Represent Duke Energy at congressional/regulatory hearings, public policy forums, press, etc. in coordination with FGCA teammates.
- Develop concise, relevant information/background for federal policymakers and federal affairs team with a particular focus on renewable policy.
- Collaborate and build relationships with the broader Duke Energy corporate team.
- Partner across internal business units to including, corporate communications, electric utilities, natural gas, renewables, legal, operations and finance.
- Build and maintain relationships with key external partners/stakeholders that share Duke Energy’s goals with respect to renewable energy policy with a particular focus on wind and solar.
- Bachelor’s degree – area of specialization: engineering, energy, physical sciences, legal, government/political science or other related field
- Eight (8) or more years of related work experience in environmental, federal/state policy or stakeholder management
- Master’s degree strongly preferred
- Experience with, or working knowledge of, utility sector, renewable energy policy trends and issues
- Working knowledge of federal legislative and regulatory processes, particularly as they affect the utility sector
- Prior experience working in a state or federal government policy related role
- Prior experience in regulated utility operations
- Exhibits a high level of critical/strategic thinking
- Demonstrated ability to resolve high impact, complex and/or cross-functional problems
- Ability to manage multiple projects and initiatives simultaneously
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills, and a high degree of self-awareness
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders
- Possesses excellent writing skills and ability to develop clear and concise written communications
- Demonstrated ability to maintain composure and clarity of purpose in stressful situations.