Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
The position provides support as needed to the Conservation Finance Division’s (CFD) legal team. CFD is the division at CI that provides financing to support field-level conservation and ensure economic benefits to local communities. CFD operates through a number of programs, including Conservation International Ventures, the Global Conservation Fund (GCF) and, the Carbon Program. GCF finances the creation, expansion and long-term management of priority areas for conservation. Current initiatives include programmatic management of the Blue Abadi fund in Indonesia and support for Nia Tero, a new organization focusing on conservation led by indigenous people. Conservation International Ventures is a new accelerator fund that will provide support to enterprises whose business activities have the potential for environmental impact.
Support the work of CFD legal advisors. Specific duties include:
- Preparing, reviewing, proofreading and editing grant, loan and other transaction documents;
- Assisting with both internal and external processes for the closing of transactions;
- Conducting legal research;
- Organizing and taking accurate minutes of certain meetings;
- Conducting legal due diligence on borrowers and related projects for Conservation International Ventures;
- Conducting legal due diligence on partners and environmental fund managers for the Global Conservation Fund;
- Preparing initial drafts of certain carbon credit legal transaction documents;
- Assisting with the contracting of vendors and leading the disbursements to vendors as needed;
- Maintaining contact with other CI departments, local counsel and grantees;
- Providing support in the retention of local counsel (researching local firms, drafting requests for proposals, drafting requests for proposal charts to compare the various firms);
- Providing administrative support to the legal team (assist with expense reports, travel arrangements, etc.);
- Coordinating technical reporting and deliverables for GCF projects and CIV/CFD investments;
- Handling sensitive information in a confidential manner;
- Researching topics related to conservation finance; and
- Ad-hoc project assignments.
- This position is based in Arlington, VA
- Typical office environment working conditions; telework, as necessary.
- 1-3 years of relevant experience
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite
- Strong writing and proofreading skills.
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Ability to keep track of documents and track the progress of project activity
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Spanish proficiency (speaking and writing)
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year university
- French and/or Portuguese language skills
- Ability to juggle and prioritize several tasks, flexibility, friendly personality
- Demonstrated interest in nature conservation, human development, or conservation finance