Humentum is a global nonprofit that strengthens humanitarian and development organizations and advocates for data-driven policies and standards to benefit the entire sector. We build community through our online networking platform and events; advance individual and organizational capability through online training and content; and provide solutions to organization-wide problems through our consultancy service. We invite you to join the leading global nonprofit working with humanitarian and development organizations to improve how they operate.
Humentum’s internship program allows for students and blooming professionals in the humanitarian and global development sector to gain real-world experience. Interns engage in experiential learning and develop skills by assisting with projects, conducting research, and connecting with our employees and members. Humentum’s internship program provides opportunities in programming related to best practices and operational excellence in advocacy, consultancy, learning, convening and communications.
Government Affairs & Advocacy Intern Job Description – Summer 2021
Hiring Line Manager: Cynthia Smith, Director, Government Affairs & Advocacy
Length of Internship: 3 Months, from on or around June 1, 2021 - September 1, 2021, with the possibility of extension. Interns will commit to 12-15 hours per week.
Location: Remote, Global
Goal and Scope of Work:
The goal of this internship is to meaningfully facilitate the effective and efficient implementation of Humentum’s current global government affairs and advocacy priorities. To achieve this goal, the scope of the intern’s work may include, but not be limited to:
- Outreach and advocacy with US Federal Government donor agencies, including USAID, USDOS, USCDC, on Humentum member questions and concerns regarding the regulatory frameworks governing the operationalization of US development and humanitarian assistance funding.
- Outreach to Humentum member organizations, through Humentum’s online member community Humentum Connect, regarding US Government donor agency policy updates and engagement opportunities.
- Coordinate with Humentum’s Comms, Member Services, Events, and Project streams to design and implement outreach and advocacy events – including webinars, roundtables, and office hours relevant to localization of donor fund implementation and the institutionalization of donor flexibilities and greater permissiveness in the regulatory environment governing USG development and assistance implementing partners.
- Identify, plan, and execute Humentum legal community engagement opportunities on issues related to compliance with Presidential Executive Orders and legislation impacting the operationalization of USG donor funds by international development and humanitarian assistance implementing partners (e.g., safeguarding, fraud prevention, material support to designated terrorist organizations, DEI, and the like).
- Support research and writing of thought leadership on localization and institutionalization of donor flexibilities by USG international development and humanitarian assistance donor agencies.
Learning Objectives & Outcomes:
- Gain an understanding of the impact of US executive branch orders and memoranda on USG humanitarian and development policy implementation.
- Gain insight into the challenges faced by USG implementing partners in the execution of USG-funded development and assistance programming.
- Gain practical experience implementing an advocacy agenda with the US executive branch agencies that create the compliance frameworks for execution of development and assistance funding.
- Gain understanding of how exigent donor compliance regimes contravene the ability to localize and diversify donor fund implementation.
- Acquire experience reviewing and interpreting the practical ramifications of certain executive branch orders, memoranda, and compliance guidelines.
Job Related Information
This position is a remote, home-based position that works as part of a wider remote, global team. You will need to work independently and as well as part of the team to achieve team-based targets. You must possess both the ability and environment to work virtually: reliable connection to high speed internet, appropriate environment for leading and participating in virtual meetings with enabled video.
Equal Opportunities Statement
Humentum is an equal opportunity employer.