State External Affairs and Partnerships Director
United States of Care is seeking a State External Affairs and Partnerships Director to join its growing team. The mission of United States of Care is to ensure that everyone has access to quality, affordable health care regardless of health status, social need, or income. A non-partisan non-profit, we are building and mobilizing a movement to achieve long-lasting solutions that make health care better for everyone. United States of Care will help make it happen by working with people from across the country: patients and caregivers, advocates, physicians and other clinicians, policymakers, and business, civic, and religious leaders.
The State External Affairs and Partnerships Director shapes and executes campaigns and partnerships to expand access to quality, affordable care in the near term while paving a path toward durable, people-centered federal policies. USofCare’s targeted campaign approach is customized based on what is needed to get prioritized policies across the finish line. The primary objective of this position is to work collaboratively with state legislators, executive branch officials, advocacy organizations, and other influencers in multiple states to achieve the organization’s mission. A key part of this role is to leverage the collective expertise of an internal cross-departmental team, as well as a range of external advisors, to create and implement strategy for the organization’s campaigns and engagements with states.
The Director is entrepreneurial, collaborative, and passionate, with proven success as a leader and brings a strategic and political mindset to all aspects of campaign and partnership work. They are highly self-motivated, creative, and collaborative, with the ability to work in a startup atmosphere with evolving and competing priorities.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Work collaboratively with the organization’s leadership to identify opportunities, develop strategy, cultivate partnerships and execute strategic planning for campaigns;
- Execute proactive campaign strategy to reach organizational goals, including identifying benchmarks for state External Affairs and campaign work , and tactical execution;
- Take a primary leadership role in the strategy and management of two or more state campaigns – handling day-to-day communications with partners, providing strategic advice and work plan development, budget and oversight, and ensuring that the organization’s leadership is informed and involved as needed;
- Hire and manage consultants as needed;
- Collaborate with colleagues on the External Affairs and Partnerships team and across the organization on creation of campaign-specific deliverables, resources and events;
- Build relationships with state officials and key partners, both directly and through national organizations and work to identify new state engagement opportunities and partnerships;
- Serve as an external spokesperson and expert for the organization with stakeholders, lawmakers, potential partners and media;
- Identify opportunities for technical assistance and political and strategic guidance from Founder’s Council and other experts, and initiate and facilitate those communications when appropriate;
- Participate in fundraising strategy and pitches when necessary;
- Support and execute tracking and reporting against programmatic grants and compliance with relevant state lobbying regulations as necessary;
- Model the highest standards of integrity and communication both internally with our teams and externally with stakeholders, partners, and funders;
- Prioritizes diversity, equity and inclusion principles, including utilizing the organization’s equity lens to inform all work.
- Contributes to other organizational initiatives as needed.
- At least 8 years of experience working in or directing campaigns, advocacy, lobbying efforts and/or similar experience, including some experience in health care related campaigns/advocacy, and some state-level experience;
- Familiarity with current issues in health policy including coverage programs, affordability, payment, billing, accessibility, and equity;
- A strong commitment to ensuring every American has access to affordable health care;
- Dedication to operating in a diverse, bipartisan, learning atmosphere exploring multiple policy solutions to achieve that mission;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to represent the organization, as needed, in interactions with lawmakers, other organizations, and the public;
- Ability to plan strategically and work both independently and as a member of the team;
- Entrepreneurial individual with interest and ability to succeed in a fast-changing start-up atmosphere and respond to changing circumstances and priorities in a positive, focused manner;
- Ability to take informed risks, step out of your comfort zone and embrace ambiguity.
- Willingness to respect different points of view and balance innovation and creativity with the ability to organize in order to get work done;
- Facility for building and maintaining positive, professional relationships with a wide range of stakeholders;
- Close attention to detail;
- Excellent time management skills and the capacity to proactively navigate multiple deadlines and competing priorities;
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s degree in public affairs, public administration, policy, public health, or a related field preferred;
- Ambitious thinking and exceptional work ethic;
- USofC values having a diverse set of viewpoints on our team. Applicants of all party affiliations and backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Compensation and Location
United States of Care offers a very generous benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance; 403b with match and paid time off. This position is full-time and open to people able to work remotely from anywhere in the United States. The salary for this position ranges from $100,000 – $130,000 depending on experience and location.
The position is open until filled, and the hiring committee will schedule the first round of interviews in September.
Interested candidates should apply through this link:https://unitedstatesofcare.org/career/state-external-affairs-and-partnerships-director/?positionApplying=State+External+Affairs+and+Partnerships+Director
Tell the employer you found this job at OPAJOBS.COM!