ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEW: The 2 million members united in the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) are at the forefront of a movement to build power for working people and empower all workers to form unions, no matter what job they do. SEIU members are from every walk of life, every political party, every background, every faith. They come from communities with their own stories and strengths, and that makes the Union all the more powerful because there’s strength in numbers. SEIU members work across the healthcare spectrum providing high quality care and services. They are the workers who keep our nation’s airports running and make sure landmark buildings are clean and secure. They provide essential public services and give a foundation of learning to our youngest and brightest. SEIU members believe in and are fighting for a Just Society where all workers are valued and all people respected—no matter where they come from or what color they are; where all families and communities can thrive; and where we leave a better and more equitable world for generations to come.
PURPOSE: This position is responsible for implementing small projects and responding to SEIU International and SEIU Local requests in support of organizing, bargaining and program development.
At the PS1A level, employees are considered probationary for the period of time they are at the PS1A level. No employee may serve more than twelve months at the PS1A level and must qualify to advance to Research Analyst by the end of the probationary period.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Compiles, researches, presents and summarizes data on industries, companies, individuals, issues and other topics in support of SEIU’s program.
- Responds to requests for information from Locals and appropriately defines and develops them; makes referrals as necessary.
- Synthesizes relevant facts/issues from a large amount of information/data.
- Works with Local Union staff to gather and provide information in a timely fashion.
- Develops and implements his/her weekly work plan; meets deadlines.
- Demonstrates the capability to learn and develop new skills.
- Performs other duties as required to support the department and its mission.
CONTACTS: Include SEIU staff and others related to research issues.
DIRECTION AND DECISION MAKING: This position reports to the Assistant Director.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in labor relations, statistics or other related degree and prior research experience, even as a student, or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge of research techniques and processes.
- Knowledge of quantitative techniques and analysis.
- Ability to use personal computer, including spreadsheets, databases and on-line research services.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Skill in the use of personal computers.
- Skill in the use of spreadsheet and database software and on-line services.
ANNUAL SALARY: $60,052.29