NRDC is seeking a Communications Assistant to work with the Federal Communications team in our Washington, D.C. office. We are looking for a detail-oriented multitasker with excellent written and verbal communication skills to provide administrative, media outreach and research support. It’s a fast-paced team and environment, so under direct supervision the ideal candidate will be able to work under pressure, exercise independent judgment and prioritize when faced with overlapping tasks and deadlines. The job includes communicating externally with members of the press and internally with departments throughout the organization. Media duties include but are not limited to: Pitching reporters on stories, maintaining press lists, doing research, copy-editing, as well as occasional writing and assisting with media strategy. Administrative tasks include but are not limited to: Processing invoices and expense reports, handling budget accounting, arranging meetings and travel. Experience with journalism, media, social media and/or public relations desired.
- Fielding inquiries from the press and general public by phone and email, efficiently and with a professional demeanor
- Building and maintaining press lists
- Editing, formatting, producing and distributing press releases through Cision; posting releases on NRDC’s website
- Pitching stories; following up with reporters
- Assisting with the distribution of blogs, op-eds, editorial board memos, reports and other communications to the press.
- Coordinating TV and radio interviews
- Tracking and analyzing media coverage and compiling reports, as well as research on overall media landscape and specific policy issues
- Helping draft and circulate summaries of weekly press hits.
- Scheduling and facilitating meetings
- Providing coverage for other assistants when needed
- Providing general administrative support for federal communications team, including recording meeting notes, setting up group calls and coordinating catering
- Scheduling meetings and conference calls
- Completing monthly expense reports on behalf of communications staff members
- Arranging travel as needed
- Processing invoices
- Tracking expenses for the Federal Communications team
- Developing contracts and license agreements
- Strong interest in communications, journalism and/or media relations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- 1 to 3 years of professional or administrative experience
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Outstanding attention to detail and organizational skills, ability to set priorities, perform undirected work
- Ability to work under deadline pressure handling multiple tasks accurately, with composure, and according to procedure.
- Willingness and availability to do occasional overtime work
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and Outlook, as well as Google Suite
- Interest in environmental issues and/or social justice advocacy a plus
- Commitment to NRDC’s values and mission.
Tell the employer you found this job at OPAJOBS.COM!