The National Science Foundation (NSF) is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Communications Specialist. The employee serves as a Communication Specialist in the Office of the Assistant Director (OAD), in the Directorate for Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences (SBE). The employee liaises closely with the directorate’s program staff to help ensure credibility, clarity, and consistency of SBE’s communications effort with the research community and internally within NSF.
Copy Editing and Writing
- Reviews and performs AP style copy editing and proofreading of all programmatic content and other web or mass email content, such as announcements and events.
- Performs AP style copy editing for various documents including Congressional inquiries, research highlights, annual reports, and presentations.
- Incorporates feedback and edits from SBE’s lead communications specialist and SBE leadership.
- Drafts copy for mass emails, internal announcements, events, and other outlets.
Content Management and Clearance Coordination
- Utilizes NSF’s web content management systems to facilitate corrections, updates and other content changes to programmatic information published on public-facing or internal-facing NSF websites.
- Ensures content authored and submitted by SBE staff is properly routed, assigned, and reviewed.
- Serves as a resource for staff in SBE divisions who are drafting and submitting programmatic information for publication on NSF websites.
- Serves as a resource for SBE staff on the preparation and clearance of official NSF documents, such as program descriptions and solicitations.
- Oversees the programmatic content review process as SBE’s clearance coordinator. Works to ensure edits and other changes are reviewed promptly by stakeholders.
- Reviews, edits, and publishes events submitted by SBE staff for publication on NSF’s public events calendar.
- Reviews, edits, and publishes internal-facing announcements submitted by SBE staff.
Mass Email Communications
- Performs layout and schedules of mass email messages aimed at researchers utilizing NSF’s mass email platform, including resizing, and cropping images, writing descriptive text, and effectively utilizing various message layout templates.
- Maintains and monitors subscriber lists for SBE-specific email topics in NSF’s mass email platform.
Content Analytics and Metrics
- Analyzes and reports on metrics and analytics for web pages and mass email messages.
- Utilizes analytics and metrics to maximize the effectiveness of SBE’s communications products and recommend changes.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Writing and Editing
- Digital Content Management
- Oral Communication
- Attention to Detail
To qualify at the GS-11 level, you must have one of the following:
1. At least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-9 level in the Federal service. Examples of specialized experience include: writing, copy editing and proofreading articles, press releases or other content covering scientific or other complex technical topics in lay language. Assisting in authoring and publishing web content using a modern content management system.
2. A Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
3. Three full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
4. A combination of post high school education and experience that combined meet the qualification requirements for this position.
To qualify at the GS-12 level, you must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 level in the Federal service. Examples of experience include: Writing, copy editing and proofreading articles, press releases or other broadly accessible content covering scientific or other complex technical topics in lay language. Performing digital content management, including overseeing the authoring and publication process in a multi-user environment using a modern content management system.
Closing Date: 10/26/2021
Tell the employer you found this job at OPAJOBS.COM!